When a home owner sits down and examines their energy bills, they are always surprised to learn that water heating is the second highest energy appliance next to your heating and cooling costs. We have a few suggestions to help lower your water heating bills.
- Install fixtures that lower water flow:Faucet aerators and low-flow showerheads mix air with water to deliver 25% to 60 % lower flow rates and does not decrease water pressure. Kitchen and bathroom upgrades pay for themselves by lowering water heating costs.
- Take shorter showers:Get the most savings possible from a low-flow showerhead by taking short showers instead of deep baths. Trimming off just two minutes in the shower every day can save 150 gallons per month if your showerhead has a flow rate of 2.5 gallons per minute.
- Lower the water heater temperature:If you own a traditional tank water heater, it’s most likely set to the default setting of 140 degrees. You can safely lower your temperature to 120 degrees without risking microbial growth in the tank. This can lower water heating costs by 6% to 10%.
- Insulate the water heater:Newer units come with insulation built in, but older models, lack insulation. You can find special jackets at a home improvement store, but it’s recommended you leave installation to a professional to prevent covering any critical components.
- Wash laundry in cold water:Use low-temperature detergent to help your clothes get just as clean in cold water. If you must wash certain batches in hot water, such as bedding and towels, rinse in cold.
- Wash dishes efficiently:Avoid pre-rinsing dishes and only run the dishwasher when it’s full. If you hand wash dishes, plug the sink instead of leaving the tap open just to run.
At Andrews Pluming and Repair our goal is to help our customers in Las Vegas, Nevada stay safe and save money on plumbing all year long Call (702) 301-0707